When will we meet with this situation?
There are many discussions about this in PC forum. Now I take some for examples:
- I’m trying to install Windows 7 on a separate 100GB partition beside my Windows 8 partition (dual boot). The disc boots fine, but I can’t select my partition (Disk 0 part 5) because of the error: “The selected disk is of the GPT partition style”.
- I tried to install Windows Server 2008 R2 on my partition. When I select the partition, I got the error message: “Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style”.
- While trying to Wipe Windows 7 and install Windows 8 on my Zenbook, I have encountered an annoying error message: “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style”. No other information is given.
How to Solve This Problem with the Simplest Way?
Notice that I said “the Simplest Way”. Although there are many solutions we can find from the forum, I’d like to suggest you use the simplest way: convert GPT to MBR disk.
Convert GPT to MBR with Diskpart
In some technology or computer forum, some technicians give some advice that convert GPT to MBR with Diskpart, which is run by program code. The specific steps are following below:
- Enter system installing interface by using Win 7 disc or USB hard drive boot. and then press “Shift”+”F10” to open the command prompt.
- Input “Diskpart” (do not input quotation mark, the following as well), and then press “Enter”to enter operating interface.
- Input “list disk”: to check hard disk properties. Pay more attention to capacity of hard disk to select. Usually, disk 0 is hard disk, and disk 1 is the usb dirve where wins 7 install.
- Input “select disk 0”: to select disk 0 as the disk that is operating.
- Input “clean”: to clean up current hard disk’s partition.
- Input “convert mbr”: to convert GPT into MBR.
- Input “create partition primary size = xxx”: in MB (megabytes) to create the size of primary partition.
- Input “format fs = ntfs quick”: to format disk to NTFS quickly.
- Input “exit”: to finish operating.
- Input “exit”: to shut down the command prompt.
After finishing operating, shut down the command prompt and install windows system on computer in normal way. The steps seems be concise, but the greatest shortage is that all data and files will be clean up. If you don’t have backup files in GPT disk, you will be crying and anxious for that.
Convert GPT to MBR with the third-party software
Of many kinds of third-party software, AOMEI Partition Assistant is a not bad tool to help user to convert disk. It’s the greatest strengthen is to convert disk from GPT to MBR without data loss.
You can check it out here: http://www.disk-partition.com/download-pro.html
Via AOMEI Technology